Butternut pumpkin is our favourite and because it’s in season during our colder months they are available in abundance in our home garden but are also priced well in stores.
This recipe is a family fav and is so simple and easy to do! We prefer to roast our vegetables first for more depth & flavour! We use kanuka honey to help really caramelise all vegetables to add deliciousness, and it’s high in anti-inflammatory properties so is healthy for you too!
This soup is extra delicious with our Honey Focaccia Bread on the side for dipping.
🎃 butternut or pumpkin 1kg approx peeled and cut into chunks
🎃 kumara 500g approx peeled and cut into chunks
🎃 red onion cut into wedges
🎃 garlic split in half
🎃 olive oil 2 tablespoons
🎃 kai ora kanuka honey 2 tablespoons
🎃 ground cumin 1 teaspoon
🎃 ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon
🎃 thyme leaves 1 ½ teaspoons
🎃 salt and freshly ground black pepper
🎃 chicken stock 2 - 2 1/2 cups (depends how smooth you like your soup)
🎃 lemon juice 3-4 tablespoons (for good tang)
OPTIONAL PLATE MATES//
- red chilli flakes (optional)
- pine, sunflower & pumpkin seeds toasted
- natural thick greek yoghurt ¼ cup
- flat-leaf parsley or coriander (cilantro) finely chopped
- crispy bacon chopped
- peppered chorizo chopped
Preheat oven to 220°C. Line your oven tray with baking paper.
- turn butternut, onion and garlic in olive oil
- rub in melted kanuka honey ground cumin and thyme leaves.
- season well with salt and pepper
- roast for 40-45 minutes or until butternut and onion is soft and caramelised.
- Transfer roast butternut and onion to a blender.
- Squeeze out 2-3 cloves of the roast garlic and add to the blender.
- Pour in cups of chicken stock and blend until smooth.
- Add more chicken stock if needed, until you get the consistency you want.
- Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
10 out of 10
PREP// 15 min